Friday 9 November 2012

Danticat

Danticat

 Edwidge Danticat writes novels to convey the deep and troubled history of her home, Haiti: a culturally rich, tragedy-prone country that most Americans know little about, aside from what was gained from inescapable news coverage after a January 2010 earthquake left the island nation in ruins. Since Danticat published her first short story at 14 years old, the Haitian author has chronicled her country in non-fiction and fiction alike. She later wrote a story about her immigration experience for New Youth Connections, "A New World Full of Strangers". In the introduction to Starting With I, an anthology of stories from the magazine, Danticat wrote, “When I was done with the [immigration] piece, I felt that my story was unfinished, so I wrote a short story, which later became a book, my first novel: Breath, Eyes, Memory…. Writing for New Youth Connections had given me a voice. My silence was destroyed completely, indefinitel.

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

Danticat

No comments:

Post a Comment