Friday 9 November 2012

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

 It really goes back to college. When I was a freshman at Yale, in the spring of 1974, I took a course from Garry Wills. He was getting ready to do his big Jefferson book, Inventing America. A lot of his lecture material ended up in his book. He also brought Washington into it in a way that was very compelling and attractive. Wills made me think about Washington. Then when I was a senior I took another course from a fellow named Ronald Paulson, about iconography in eighteenth-century art--Hogarth, Blake, James Gillray "My support for medical marijuana is not a contradiction of my principles, but an extension of them", Brookhiser told the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime. "I am for law and order. But crime has to be fought intelligently and the law disgraces itself when it harasses the sick. I am for traditional virtues, but if carrying your beliefs to unjust ends is not moral, it is philistine.

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

Richard Brookhiser

No comments:

Post a Comment